Friday, December 11, 2009

Advent Cake

Photobucket

I made this mostly buttercream cake for an Advent social I attended. I wanted something not "Christmasey" but not "generic holiday" and this is what I decided on. I used "REJOICE" since it's commonly heard in the song "O Come O Come Emmanuel" and is what the whole season of Advent is about...rejoicing as we await the coming of the Savior. So I also included text around the sides of the cake, "Hope. Joy. Love. Fiat (Your will be done)."

I was surprised how well I was able to pipe...given piping isn't my thing, but I think it has much more to do with a good consistency of icing. Which I actually managed to achieve by adding a bit of corn syrup to the all shortening buttercream. I'm really pleased that this little trick did wonders for my piping! Woo hoo!

The stars and dove are made from fondant. It's a vanilla cake with vanilla buttercream. Nothing fancy just a little cake for a very blessed night with the ladies. It was fun! I have lots leftover again...funny how even when I make it teeny it is still too much! LOL!

Advent Blessings!

2 comments:

  1. Good morning,
    Just wanted to let you know. You have an award waiting for you at my blog.
    Take Care

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Afternoon,

    Yes you have been gone a while lol. But yes potty training and holidays can do that to someone. All you have to do is copy the award and then save on your pc. Then upload the pic and from there you can give to whomever you would like.

    I too have not really posted anything. With so many things going on I have not had time to make, bake and photograph. lol Sometimes we just get rushed and do not remember.

    ReplyDelete